Within Easy Reach
- Le Mans (racetrack & medieval town)
- Normandy beaches (D-Day landings)
- Le Mont-Saint-Michel (a UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- The Loire Valley and Vinyards
- Châteaux, medieval towns and charming villages
- Alençon, Laval, Rennes, Angers, Tours, Caen
- Paris (1 hour by TGV from Le Mans)
- Disneyland (90 mins direct by TGV from Le Mans)
- Brittany coast. Fabulous fresh seafood
- All Channel ports (even Calais is an easy drive)
- Forests, rivers, adventure parks and outdoor activities
- Stunning local walks, cycle routes and fishing lakes
- Swimming pools and bathing at beautiful lakes
This area of France has much to offer. It is farming country and most of the villages and towns hold events throughout the summer. There are lots of small medieval towns that retain their charm and history, amazing many visitors that they have never heard of them e.g. Sainte-Suzanne with its walled town, ancient fortress and château, Jublains with its extensive Gallo-Roman remains and Lassay-les-Châteaux with one of the best examples of a fortified medieval château in France, complete with a working drawbridge and barbican. Click here for a flavour of what's on your doorstep.
The Plantagenet city of Le Mans is an absolute must, especially so in July and August when the "Nuit des chimères" is enacted. You have dinner at one of the many wonderful, inexpensive restaurants then just as it's getting dark be prepared to experience one of the most enchanting spectacles you have ever seen. There are similar, if not quite so spectacular, events in Mayenne and Laval.
There are plenty of activities and the area is particularly noted for walking and rambling, cycling, fishing, horse riding, exploring ancient woodland or just driving through the beautiful and traffic-free countryside and forests. The Alpes Mancelles are 25 km but; although stunning, there is no skiing! There's plenty of scope for picnics and indeed these are a regular local pastime.
For swimming, there is a wonderful lake with a sandy man-made beach at Sillé-le-Guillaume, just 17 km away, another at Gué de Selle, slightly nearer and quiter and excellent public pools at Bais (7 km), Villaines- la-Juhel (13 km) and Evron (16 km). The beach at Sillé-le-Guillaume also has horse and donkey rides, boat trips, pedalos and bars and restaurants. It's great for kids and adults alike.
Other activities a short drive away are golf, horse-racing and a casino at Bagnoles-de-l'Orne which also boasts many good restaurants.